This monastery is located just south of Ayutthaya city on the east side of Chao Phraya River. Strangely, there is no record of when it was built or who built it; however, it is known that it was already built at the time Ayutthaya was established as capital.
The principal feature of the temple is its Wihan called "Luang Phor Phanan Choeng" (or "Sam Pa Kong" by the area’s ethnic Chinese). It was built in A.D. 1325 and hosts a formidable, towering Buddha image (created in 1324) that peers down at people as they enter the temple. According to legend the image wept when the Burmese invaded Ayutthaya. The temple is set in excellent rolling grounds with shaped bushes and hedges. The temple is highly revered by local ethnic Chinese and its design and decoration reflects this.
Tel: 66 3524 3867, 66 3524 3868
How to get there: The temple is close to Riverview Hotel and easily accessible from the railway station by tuk-tuk or taxi.