Bang Pa-In Palace
Bang Pa-In Palace comprises a collection of buildings of various ages and various architectural styles surrounded by a lake. Originally built by King Prasattong in Ayutthaya era, Bang Pa-In was the places for the kings in the Ayutthaya period to visit and enjoy, but it was let unoccupied when Bangkok became the capital. Its importance was reestablished when King Rama IV and King Rama V restored the palace, and some new buildings were built.
Bang Pa-In Palace compound houses a number of important buildings. The public can only go inside two of these building: Phra Thinang Wehat Chamrun - a Chinese-style building intended for use during rainy seasons – and Phra Thinang Withun Thatsana - a tower-like ‘observatory’ with a number of balconies to take in good views of the palaces gardens. Other buildings worthy of note include Phra Thinang Aisawan Thippa –a pavilion standing in the middle of the lake - and Phra Thinang Warophat Phiman – a two-storey building that housed King Mongkut’s apartments and reception hall.
Details: There is a 100 Baht entrance fee for Bang Pa-In Palace and it opens daily between 08:30 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. and 01:00 p.m. and 04:00 p.m.
Tel: 66 3526 1044, 66 3526 1549
How to get there: Bang Pa-In Palace is often approached as a tour from Bangkok and often combined with a visit to Wat Niwet Thamaprawat which is directly opposite the palace. It is possible to get there yourself by van from Chao Phrom Market in Ayutthaya (fare 10 Baht) or bus from the Northern Bus Terminal in Bangkok (fare around 20 Baht for an ordinary bus and around 50 Baht for an air-conditioned bus). There are also river tours available directly from Bangkok.